MelanieTM Coverage is a tool for scientists involved in the development or use of immunoassays aimed at monitoring Host Cell Protein (HCP) impurities in biopharmaceutical products. It is designed to analyze coverage, i.e. the percentage of immunodetection that an antibody reagent offers for the total population of HCPs.
The typical image pair used for coverage assessment consists of the primary image representing the total protein content of the HCP-antigen and the secondary image revealing the proteins detected with the anti-HCP antibody. These images are generated from a host of applications using 2D-PAGE-based methods, notably:
- Conventional 2D gel electrophoresis followed by 2D Western blotting
- 2D Differential In Blot Electrophoresis (2D-DIBETM) – CyDyeTM based assay
- Antibody affinity chromatography followed by 2D-DIGETM
MelanieTM Coverage is based on 30 years of image analysis experience at the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics where the MelanieTM software is constantly improved and maintained. This new Melanie module is entirely and solely focused on coverage analysis, with a specific workflow and dedicated tools developed in collaboration with GE Healthcare and major companies in the biopharmaceutical arena.
- MelanieTM Coverage offers significant time savings over current solutions due to the simple workflow and three-level spot filter that classifies spots based on thresholds as absent, present, or uncertain while allowing user editing.
- For the commercial environment, the main advantage is reproducibility achieved by the combination of experimental design and savable workflow parameters.
- 3D view assisted image alignment leads to an unprecedented accuracy in comparing spots between total HCP and probed HCP. The interactive 3D view further provides valuable context wherever user decisions are required.
Thus, MelanieTM Coverage provides fast, reproducible, and accurate coverage results to validate antibody reagents for their intended use.
MelanieTM Coverage guides you through the image analysis process with a user friendly step-by-step workflow, delivering quick results.
This new module of the MelanieTM software will be available soon from GE Healthcare and GeneBio, so stay tuned!